Why I Do It

Today is weigh-in day over at the Sisterhood, and I thought I would post over here today. It's been a while since I've talked about my weight loss journey here, and I'd kind of like to mention something else that we're doing that is very, very exciting for us. So, quick note about my actual weight. I'm up a pound, but I'm really not bothered by it for a few reasons. I had mondo stress this past weekend/week, and it was that time of the month, so I ate a few things that I really, really shouldn't have, so there's my pound. But I'm just not worried about it because this week, I began to train.

For what, you ask? Well let me tell you...

First, let me say that I really am not a fan of running. In fact, I quite literally hate it most of the time. I've mentioned this little interesting fact several times over here more than a few times. Running and I just aren't friends. We never have been. The only reason I tolerated it in high school was because I loved basketball so very much.

I really loved the game and the strategy and the competition in basketball, but the thing that I loved the most was the sense of team. I loved everything about being on a team. I loved that we had team rituals, that we all had dinner together before a game, that we planned each game day what we were going to wear and how we were going to match. Loved it.

As an adult, I admit, being on a team has been something that I really have missed. Sure, there are adult leagues here, but I just haven't found a group that I really click with.

Not like I clicked with everyone at the Sisterhood. I've found a whole new world of friends that I love so much. When some of them jumped onto the running bandwagon, I admit, I was not really thrilled. Fine, I thought, I'd do a 5K and that'd be it. So, I did my 5K and someone mentioned a half marathon. NO.WAY. Not happening. Then someone else mentioned Virtual Team in Training...

I've had every other type of cancer in my family, but not blood cancers. Still. To me, cancer is cancer. That hateful disease has taken my uncle, an 18 month old cousin, my grandfather, my nephew's cousin (on his mama's side), and a sorority sister's two year old. So, absolutely, anything I can do to kick cancer's ass, I'm all for, BUT...

...a half marathon? Really? How can I do THAT? That love for running has NOT hit me. I'm almost sure that it never will. Then, I saw my sisters' enthusiasm. Their excitement for not only doing this to fight cancer, but for doing this together. As a team. And I was hooked.

No, I don't love to run. I probably never will. But I'm running. Training for a half marathon. Yes, I'm running for my health, but that's not why I do it. I'm running for them. For my team, so that we can raise almost $50,000 to help fight cancer's ass.

Would you like to help us get there? You can go here. Any support is appreciated!

posted under |

9 comments:

Christy M. said...

You are made of awesome. And I love you.

AnnG said...

Being part of the team is an awesome feeling! You are AWESOME!! and you will help kick cancer's butt while running with a great group of women!! Good luck on the training!

Mommy Mo said...

Am I one of those you click with?

I lov you and even though you don't love running, you are pretty good at it, hooker.

Crooked Eyebrow said...

I am very proud of you!
Runner or not, you rule.

Mom of 3 boys said...

I love how you are doing something even though you hate it. You are a great person to raise money for such a worthy cause and to do something you don't like.

Brooke said...

with the help of your team you are going to kick @$$ on those 13.1 miles.

Heather D said...

I'm with you - not a runner. I can't believe how far we've come already! We're going to rock it!
xo

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you, you know that? It takes a lot of determination to do something you don't like to do.

Kirsten said...

I am so happy that you decided to join us even though you hate running. It is going to be an awesome experience for all of us.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments