My Most Awesome Work Moment Yet

I've worked for the same company for ten years now. I was hired straight out of college with plans to either move up in the company quickly or move on to something better in life.

Ten years later, I'm still there, and have only moved up a tiny bit. I could spend hours and hours telling you why I'm still in this job I barely tolerate, but we'll save that for another day.

A few weeks ago, I had an email in my inbox from my manager telling me I had been chosen as a creative consultant for a team building project. OK, no. What the email said was a whole lot of big words that were Greek to me, and only after I responded back with, "Huh?" did I find out that I had been chosen as a creative consultant for a team building project.

Today, we had our first meeting for this project. Since the meeting was held three hours away from my office, I joined in via conference call.

The leader of this meeting spent ten minutes explaining why were doing this project and how it would create a better work environment and I could have sworn I heard the words "TPS reports".

And then he says something like all teams such as teams like mine tend to be boring.

WHAT! Who the hell was he calling boring? Obviously he didn't know that I was on this project. And right then, it became one of the most important things in the world to defend my creative mind.

Boring?! Who is he calling boring?! I rattled of an email to my manager's BlackBerry.

After a few more minutes of "blah, blah, blah's" I hear him say that we could break into our teams and brainstorm. My manager then gets on the phone and asks for my ideas.

"First, I want you to tell that guy, I don't appreciate being called boring!", I said.

My manager replied, "Um, April. You just told the whole room that. You're on speaker phone."

Whoops. Well. I guess now he knows. :)

posted under |

6 comments:

Heather Anne Hogan said...

My first resume was full of accounting jargon like "depreciation schedules" and "monthly JEs" and "fixed assets." Only instead of "assets" I typed "asses" and spell check didn't stop me because "asses" is an actual word.

I went on six job interviews with that resume.

Heather Hogan specializes in fixed asses.

Anonymous said...

That's classic. Stupid speaker phone...

Kind of like the time I included some potential sponsors in an email that included a certain "H" word...

Brooke said...

speaker phone - the telephonic equivilant of "reply all" :D

Brooke said...

ps - i typed a letter to my boss that talked about "traffic shits" intead of "traffic shifts" and i ordered jay's birthday gift on the company credit card.

Roo said...

That's pretty awesome. ;)

Laura Marchant said...

Oh Emm Gee! That...is awesome, lol!

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments