Dear Charlotte

I'll never forget the day that we met. Your breeder walked to the back of her house to the "dog room", opened the door, and out you and your sisters raced. One of them was black and tan like you and the other was a blonde color. I watched the two of them run around the room just shouting, "we're free! Run! Run! Run!" I was so amazed by how much energy they had that I momentarily forgot that there were three of you.

Hang on, I thought. Where is the third.

I looked down and there you sat at my feet, sniffing my toes. Then you gave my big toe a tiny little lick, and looked up at me with a look that plainly said, "Here, I am. Let's go home."

And go home we did.

We had so much fun getting to know each other that day and that evening. By the end of the afternoon, we had named you Charlotte because I picked out a purple collar (which would your color) and Clay (now Clay, Sr.) picked out a teal leash and that was the colors of the Charlotte Hornets NBA team. Hey, we were a basketball family!

It really was one of the best days of my life, meeting you.

And then night came. I was determined that you would be crate trained, and you were determined to keep me awake all night because of it. By 3 a.m., I was ready to send you back. But I didn't, and you became my best friend. I will miss you every single day for the rest of my life. You were just that special.

I want you to know that today, Mom got a new dachshund. Her face reminds me a lot of you at that age even though she's a different color. I also want you to know that she is in no way replacing you. This is just a new chapter for Mom and Dad. Mom (and Dad, even though he won't admit it) needed this little girl. I know you understand. If possible, show her the ropes, okay? (Just be nice and teach her to pee under Clay's chair, not mine.)

Love,
April

posted under , |

3 comments:

MitaKay said...

OMG I am sitting at my desk at work crying!! This is beautiful... and I know Charlotte would want you all to be happy and enjoy the new puppy!

Mendie said...

Oh April...tears! I completely know how it feels to worry about "replacing" a dog. It's impossible, you just have love that you need to give to another dog, I thinkk Charlotte would be proud and honored.

My dog Kacie who I had for 15 years passed in April 03 and my hubby (then boyfriend) father gifted Emma to me for a college Graduation present when she was born in July.

I love Emma with all my heart, but I also still have love for Kacie that will never be replaced. They are different dogs and with me Kacie tought me how to really love and appreciate everyday and all they do for us!

Congratulations on your new addition!

Bacardi Mama said...

It took me two days to work up the courage to read this. I knew it was going to make me and it did. There is just something about losing a pet that just never leaves you. It made me think about my Jack and he's been gone three years now. Thanks for a good cry. Sometimes, we just need that cleansing.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments