200 Game?

It all started with, "Hey April! Can you bowl for us just for one night? We'll buy your beer!"

Five years later, I'm still bowling.

I'd like to say that I'm a good bowler, but I'm not. There are a few reasons for this. A lot of bowling is mental. For the longest time, the slightest movement in the corner of my eye would cause me to lose concentration. Or, I'd stand to long before my approach and I would think about it too much. Or I would rush my approach.

Another problem I have is that I tend to be backwards footed. Let me explain. I'm naturally left-handed. I play sports right-handed. So, I throw the ball right-handed. I should end my approach on my left foot, but I usually don't. I end on my right foot.

So, for five years, I've had BAD games, I've had okay games, and I've had a few good games. It's stressful for a competitive girl like myself.

Last winter, some friends from the league and I bowled in the City/County tournament here in Roanoke. I just went out and had fun, and ended up taking third in singles. Talk about a big horseshoe up my ass.

Last week, fall/winter league season started again. I noticed halfway through game 2 that I wasn't bowling backwards footed, got excited and screwed myself up. Back to backwards footed bowling.

Then we get to last night.

I was bowling pretty good for me, and I was doing good at not bowling backwards footed. I'm sure I still look weird because it's just not natural for me to step first with my right foot, but whatever works, right?

Side note: I don't consider myself a very superstitious person. Except when it comes to sports. (I may or may not have not changed my socks when we were on a winning streak in varsity basketball. I know, right?!)

Last night, I tried something right before I started my first frame of the third game. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is, that's the superstitious part. By the fifth frame, I had something like a 123. (Usually I do good to end with a 123.) This new little trick was working! By the ninth frame I had a 170.

One of my teammates says, "Hey, April, if you strike out in the tenth, you'll get a 200!"

Shit. Enter NERVES, BRAIN, THINKING TOO MUCH. I walked away from the lane trying to calm myself down. April, you can do this. You bowled a 183 at the tournament, even if it was at a different alley. I told myself.

I walk up to the lane when it was my turn on the tenth frame. I completely forgot about my new "little thing" that I had done the whole game. I approach, throw the ball, and it swings left. I knock one pin down. There went my 200 game. I ended with a 179.

I've decided this season, I WILL get a 200 game. I'm going to do it. And you'll know it because you'll hear me shout for joy no matter where you are. I promise. :o)

posted under |

4 comments:

The Sisterhood of the Shrinking Jeans said...

You'll get that 200, hooker! I know you will :)

Bacardi Mama said...

You'll get that 200 game. Just don't over think it. Go out and have fun and it will come to you. You're too awesome for it not to.

Laura Marchant said...

Wow, you're good. I am lucky if I break 100 on my first game and 50 on my second.

Anonymous said...

I haven't joined a league here, yet, but my average when I left Ohio was a 122. I bowled in the 170s ONCE. It was euphoric. I, too, will bowl a 200 game before I die.

You can so do this. Do your little trick ALL THE TIME.

And then tell me what it is.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments