Dirty Dancing

While it makes me sad to hear of Patrick Swayze's passing, I'm not normally one to blog about celebrities or to give them tributes on my blog. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that he was my favorite. Because he wasn't. I'm not going to sit here and tell you how shitty cancer is. Because we all know it is.

I'm going to tell you about the first time I saw Dirty Dancing. It's a funny little story, and I'm sure that Mr. Swayze would get a kick out of it.

Let's rewind to the late 1980's. We were at my grandparents' house for the weekend. We did that often back then. My mom and my aunt decided that they wanted to see Dirty Dancing, and the theater in town was playing it.

Problem. My brother and I had to go, too. (How long ago was that movie released? I'm 31, my brother's 27. Let's think...how old were we? Right.) I'm not sure what they were thinking a movie called Dirty Dancing was going to be about, but they called the theater and found that there was no nudity, it was PG-13, so how bad could it be? Right?

So, my mom and aunt load my brother up with popcorn and candy (the perfect bribe for taking a kid to a non-cartoon movie), picked our seats in the theater with duct tape covering the holes in the seats, and we were going to watch Dirty Dancing.

All was going great, and then...

Baby follows what's his name to where all of the employees are hanging out. Know which scene, right?

So, all of a sudden right in front of me was a bunch of people, well, um, dirty dancing. My mom and aunt gasped, my mouth dropped to my seat, my brother yelled "EW GROSS!" and hids his face in the seat...

Oh, the questions that my brother asked after that movie, then declared HE was never getting married or kissing a girl or none of that gross stuff. RIGHT.

posted under |

9 comments:

Bacardi Mama said...

Love this story!

*Lissa* said...

Hah!

I LOVE dirty dancing. The movie, of course.

Christie O. said...

haha! great story! i really loved dirty dancing and patrick swayze and i'm really sad. i hate that people have to go at all,but especially when it's too soon.

Anonymous said...

That's too funny. I can just imagine the look on your mom's and aunt's faces...

Heather D said...

I can VIVIDLY remember the first time I saw that scene. I was at a slumber party. I think we all pretended it was SO gross.
But really, we all wanted to dry hump with Patrick Swayze!

Brooke said...

:P

my mom wouldn't let us see it. i can't remember if it was because of the dancing or the mention of abortion.

Anonymous said...

We watched dirty dancing as one of repeat movies while living in the dorms. All with our own peanut gallery comments - MST3000 style.

Heather of the EO said...

I can remember being totally shocked by the dancing as a kid too. Waaay awkward to see that with your mom and aunt!

I did love the movie though. Always will.

Christie O. said...

sent you some bloggy love at my blog!

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments