Because I'm Alive

I'm sitting here on my front porch this amazingly beautiful Sunday morning, and I've been reminded of something...

My great, great aunt Jack (short for Jacqueline). Aunt Jack used to scare me somewhat. Some of you who have met me may have noticed that I can be a bit reserved. Aunt Jack required hugs, which was a bummer to me because I wasn't keen on hugs. (Hugs are something I've only recently discovered that I love.)

Now, of course, I wish I had hugged her more.

See, Aunt Jack had lupus. She lost a leg and an eye to that horrible disease. She was constantly sick, but every morning, she would say, "I'm alive, and that's what matters." She seriously, had the best attitude. I never saw her upset. There was always a smile on her face, even if she was lying on a hospital bed.

Why don't more of us take this attitude? I'm the first to admit I'm guilty of complaining and getting down when life seems to take a dump on me. And isn't that kind of sad?

I mean seriously. No matter what happens in our lives, no matter how hard life seems to get, we are ALIVE. And life is such a beautiful thing. Why do we waste energy worrying with the bad stuff, when there are so many good things surrounding us. There are so many things we should be enjoying, loving, and experiencing.

I know that it's going to be hard not to focus on the bad things in life. I don't know about you, but the bad things always seem to run in groups, usually 3's. When the bad things happen one right after the other, it's so hard not to throw your hands in the air and say, "screw it." But I'm making a promise to myself and you to try. Because I'm alive.

So, as I sit here on my front porch, feeling the wind against my face, listening to my wind chimes and the dog barking down the street, and watching a morning dove scuttle around my yard, I'm going to enjoy life today.

And Aunt Jack would be proud.

posted under , |

5 comments:

Mommy Mo said...

So true, my friend, so true. And bad things do seem to happen in threes, don't they? If I had known about your squeamish-ness of hugs, I would have made sure to have given double the hugs at blogher- ha ha.

Amanda W said...

Good thoughts. Thanks for sharing them. I've been in a bit of a mood this weekend and am thinking I needed to hear it.
Oh, and I'm so hugging you when I meetcha.

*Lissa* said...

Kind of reminds me like my Aunt Cyndee. :o)

So true.

Bacardi Mama said...

Hugs to you my friend! This is a great post, something we should all aspire to. Why is it so easy for us to dweel on the bad and not the good? I'll try to work on this with you. I have so much good in my life to focus on.

Bacardi Mama said...

That would be dwell and not dweel. I'm such a dork!!

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments