Me on Hugs

It's clear to me after my last post that I need to clarify something about my feelings on hugs.

Yes. I'm not a huge hugger. I don't like people that I don't know touching me. In fact, if I'm feeling uncomfortable, and someone I don't know touches me, and you're paying close enough attention, you can see me cringe.

Part of this is from something that happened to me a very long time ago, and I do not wish to discuss that, but also, I come from a family that is not overly affectionate. Hugs often come with pats on the back. And not only that, we're not huge on telling each other how we feel. In fact, I can count on one hand how many times I know of my dad telling me he loves me.

Please don't go saying, "that's so sad." I know. But that's just how we are. That's how they were raised, so it is what it is. I know they love me. And with them, that's enough.

But, I recently discovered how much I love hugs. How much I love saying, "I love you." How much I need it. But to force something like that on my family feels weird and just wrong. So, I've turned to my friends for that.

If I have spent any amount of time talking to you, and if we have become friends, hugs are a requirement. In fact, I love them so much, I give huge hugs. Especially if I know we're not going to see each other for a while. And don't be surprised if I throw out an "I love you." I realize that is a huge request to lay upon my friends, and I pray they don't mind.

So, that is me on hugs. Now, can I get a hug?

posted under , , |

4 comments:

MitaKay said...

I love to hug too... but am always worried about invading someone's personal space! *HUG**HUG*

Bacardi Mama said...

If I was there, I'd give you a big old hug. I'm a hugger. What can I say?

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

I can relate to this 100%...but my family is slowly changing, it's pretty cool.

Heather of the EO said...

I totally get it.

Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers


Recent Comments