My Life at Thirty

I started My Life at Thirty to sort of document my 30th year. (I know, duh.) As more of a journal than a blog. I knew what blogs were, but I had no idea of the wonderful world that was before me. I never expected for anyone to read my blog other than a select two or three. Okay, one. But I love her so much!

Thirty was a real turning point for me in my life. I had already lost a significant amount of weight, and I felt really good about finally getting out of my 20’s. Not that I looked forward to getting older, but trust me, folks, when I tell you my 20’s sucked ass big time.

For me:

Thirty meant I was finally completely emerging from this cloud of darkness. I was seriously getting there in my 29th year, but there was still this fog or haze. I was glad to be turning 30. I welcomed it.

Thirty meant I really discovered me, got to really know me, and realized I love me.

Thirty meant tons and tons of Good Times with the best of friends. There were Hokie tailgates, Happy Hours, Girls’ Cabin Party 2008, a couple of 30th birthday bashes, late, late nights, and great talks! Talks in which I was still learning about myself.

Thirty meant trying my hand at dating again, realizing how much I still suck at it, but that I am now adult enough to admit that the reason that it didn’t work was partially my fault as well as the stupid boy’s. (Although he really did turn out to be a stupid boy. For real.) For now, I’m fine with just being me.

Thirty meant that I now was an aunt, and it has been pure joy to experience my nephew’s first year with him and watch him grow and spoil him rotten! He is my Little Man and the most important person in my life!

Thirty meant losing a best friend. I never knew that I could love and miss a dog as much as I loved and now miss Charlotte. I wish every day that I could just give her just one more scratch behind the ears. There are a few of her things, that I still can’t bear to part with just yet. I may never be able to.

Thirty meant starting this blog, not keeping up with it, then starting it back up again. I’m so glad I did.

Thirty meant meeting new friends. Friends that I know now that I’ll never live without. Friends that I absolutely cannot wait to meet face to face, which will mark the beginning of our own Good Times together! I love them and being a part of their community very much!

All in all, 30 was a good year.

A chapter has now ended; a new one is beginning. That, my friends, is-or was MY Life at Thirty.

Because now I’m 31.

posted under , |

31 comments:

Christy M. said...

Did that just happen?!!

Happy Birthday, April! I hope you have the most wonderful day ever, and I'm so glad I got to share the first few minutes of it with you :)

Here's to many, many more years of wonderful times, my friend!

Love always!!!!

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday April! I`m glad that your 30th year went well and now you get to look forward to your 31st year, which I`m sure will be just as great, if no better :)

Mel said...

Happy birthday to you. I'm glad you filled your 30th year to the brim and was able to enjoy and learn so much. I turned 31 a couple weeks ago and so far it's working for me. I hope you have a wonderful year coming too!

tammi said...

Hey, happy birthday!! Trust me, women are like fine wine ~ they just get better with age!!! Here's to a wonderful new year! All the best to you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed being 30... I'm waiting for the good and the fun to kick in here on my end!

CraftGirlAlli said...

Happy Birthday!

Your blog made me think of the Tim McGraw song called "My Next Thirty Years".

Christie O. said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I hope you really enjoyed your carrot cake!!! I did the same thing with my first blog, I named it after my firstborn (duh!) and then had a second. Oh well! Who knew blogging would be this fun and cool and that there was this whole other world going on I never knew about for so long???? With the best people ever!!??? I'm glad to see you're sticking around and I'm so so glad that you had such a wonderful year 30. Hugs to you and cheers for a great 31!

Mommy Mo said...

Happy Birthday April! I am so glad we "met" and I cannot wait to meet you IRL in a short 6 weeks! I hope you have the BEST day.

Crooked Eyebrow said...

Happy Birthday April!

I hope this year has even better things in store for you!

*Lissa* said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I love that 30 treated you so well and hope 31 treats you EVEN BETTER!

Have a wonderful day!

Love ya!

Bacardi Mama said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY APRIL! Christ sent me over. I recognize you from Shrinking Jeans. It sounds like 30 was a pretty good year. Here's hoping 31 is even better.

Brooke said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :)

love the new look :D

AnnG said...

Happy Birthday!! You are a wonderful inspiration!! Thanks for all your encouragement!!

Lisa Page Rosenberg said...

Happy 31.
The 30s are fun.
The 40s are a sweet relief!

beachmom said...

happy birthday! I loved my 30's, so much change and growth...enjoy every single day!

Fun Pusher said...

Happy Birthday, darlin. You know, or maybe you don't, that you mean the world to me and I'm so happy to have such a beautiful, caring, generous, stubborn, logical, contradictory, party animal for my friend. I thank the Big Guy above that you came back into my life. I say we kick off our 31st years with the fabulosity of Cabin Weekend!!! Can't wait to see you there! Love and kisses...and seriously, have a fantastic birthday!

(PS...love the new look on here!)

kentuckymommy said...

I just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday...from one shrinking sista to anotha!

Unknown said...

Have the happiest of birthdays.

Unknown said...

happy happy birthday!

Mommy Elephant Sarah said...

A Big Happy Birthday to you!! I just turned 32, and the 30's have been better for me then the 20s too. Hope you have another great year. Enjoy your day!! :D

Unknown said...

Sounds like your 30's are off to a wonderful start. Enjoy your day! Happy Birthday! : )

Unknown said...

Happy birthday!!!
I am 33--things just keep getting better and better.

(I didn't panic on my 30th, but I did freak out a little when my baby brother turned 30--that meant I was old!)

Unknown said...

I just want to thank you for sharing your outlook...

Happy New Year for you!!

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

This post is freakin' awesome. Just awesome.

A very happy birthday to you, April. I look forward to many more blogging years from you.

Amanda W said...

You are gonna love your 30s- they are WAY better than the 20s. Happy birthday, April.

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a grat birthday and I wish you a wonderful year at 31!
~Mendie

audrey said...

I gotta admit. The 30's rock. ;)

Lovin the new look on your blog too. Super sweet!

Happy birthday!

Heather D said...

Happy (late) birthday to you!
Great post by the way :)
31 will be even better than 30!

Beth at I Should Be Folding Laundry said...

I hope you had the best birthday, April and I hope that this year is the best year, yet.

Happy birthday!

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Visiting from Heather's EO!

I love that you are embracing your 30s instead of lamenting lost youth. Now that I'm staring down 40, 30 sounds awfully young... I too was happy to move into the next decade and I'm so glad that I didn't waste time boo hoo'ing over how "old" I was.

Heather of the EO said...

Thank you for sharing this for my blogiversary thingy. I love it, April. I'm so glad you share your journey the way you do. It's beautiful, just like you, inside and out. (as cliche as that may sound, it's true)

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a walking contradiction. While I love to draw, paint and read, I also love all things gadgets, science and even science fiction (I know). My animals (two dogs and two birds) are my heart, and if I could figure out how to legally own a giraffe, I would. That all said, I have my BS in Mathematics. :o)

Followers


Recent Comments