Tasteful Thursday: Buffalo Chicken-Blue Cheese Meatloaf

This week I’m going to try not to stick my foot in my mouth and instead bring you all a real treat. I admit the first time I ever tried this recipe, I wasn’t very sure about it. The thought (and looks) of a few of these ingredients together just seems wrong, but once all is said and done, this is one of the best dishes!! Add some veggies, and you have yourself a very healthy meal! And it’s delicious!

Buffalo Chicken-Blue Cheese Meatloaf (source: The Biggest Loser Families Cookbook)

Ingredients:

Olive oil spray
2/3 cup old fashioned oats
½ cup fat free milk
2 ½ tablespoons of buffalo wing sauce, or more to taste
1 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
½ cup finely chopped celery
¼ cup shredded carrot
½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup crumbled reduced fat blue cheese

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly mist a 9” x 5” x 3” nonstick loaf pan with olive oil spray.

Combine oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes or until oats are softened. Stir in wing sauce until well mixed. Add chicken, celery, carrots, onion, egg whites, and salt. With fork, mix ingredients well. Add blue cheese and gently mix.

Transfer mixture to pan and spread so that top is flat. Bake 35 to 40 mins or until chicken is no longer pink. Cut into 8 slices. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 263 calories per serving, 35g protein, 14g carbohydrates, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 74mg sodium

Modifications: Sometimes I have a hard time finding ground chicken, so I’ve also used ground turkey. Works fine for me. Also, I’ve only made it for my parents, and they can’t tolerate hot sauce, so I have to reduce the amount of buffalo sauce that I use. I’d love to try it with more than the 2 ½ tablespoons…so who’s coming to dinner so I can try making it HOT??


If you want to play along, post your recipe on your blog, then head on over to Lisa's blog and leave the link to your post in the comment section!

posted under |

4 comments:

Christy M. said...

Okay, this sounds really, really good! I'll be trying it out next week, but will have to go light on the sauce too since I'm feeding the kids! Maybe we can get together sometime and add lots of extra sauce :)

Mommy Mo said...

OK, this sounds really good! I wonder about the bleu cheese though- I am not a FAN of bleu cheese at all. You probably can't taste it too much, right?! Oh, I like things HOT!!!!!

NotinKSAnymore said...

Sounds delicious! I will be trying it very soon...also will be going light on the sauce or hubby will be hurting all night. Thanks for sharing!

Christy M. said...

I'm making this right now! It's actually in the oven and it smells wonderful!!!

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a walking contradiction. While I love to draw, paint and read, I also love all things gadgets, science and even science fiction (I know). My animals (two dogs and two birds) are my heart, and if I could figure out how to legally own a giraffe, I would. That all said, I have my BS in Mathematics. :o)

Followers


Recent Comments