Tasteful Thursday: Chicken Salad

It's again time for Lisa's Tasteful Thursday on her food blog. Why don't you share a recipe with us? Head on over to Lisa's blog and post the link to your recipe in the comments!

Homemade Chicken Salad

Source: My Granny! (not sure where she got it from)

As a kid, I can remember going to visit my grandparents, and when we’d go to “Granny’s house” EVERYONE was excited about Granny’s chicken salad. I also remember peering into the chicken salad container for the very first time and thinking (I probably said it too), “I ain’t eating that!” But as I grew, my taste buds changed and I grew to love Granny’s chicken salad. And now that I’m an adult, I’ve put my own modifications to it.

Ingredients:

1 package of chicken breasts
2 or 3 boiled eggs
3 medium sized sweet pickles
1 stalk of celery
1 cup of mayo

Instructions:

After you cook the chicken, combine all ingredients into food processor (or if you don’t have a food processor, just finely chop all ingredients), and mix well. This makes a spread-like chicken salad (sort of like egg salad). And that’s it. Simple right?

You can either serve on sandwiches or with crackers.

My Modifications:

Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my granny’s chicken salad, but I’ve found that I like it better my way! I like a chunkier version. So what I do is shred the chicken and I don’t chop the rest of the ingredients as finely as the food processor would. I also don’t use the celery. I don’t mind celery, but it’s also not my favorite thing in chicken salad. And as I’m sure you’ve guessed I use light mayo rather than regular mayo. One last thing, if you don’t want less mayo, use less mayo, if you want more pickles, use more. It’s all on how you like it.

Note: I think it's a crime against chicken salad to add things such as fruit. If that's your thing, then that's fine, but for me, this is THE chicken salad to have. I'm just sayin'. ;o)

posted under |

1 comments:

Christy M. said...

Throw me in jail girl, cuz I put apples in mine :)

Mine goes like this (my great grandmother's recipe):

-1 lb. chicken breasts, boiled and chopped
-mayo (as much as you like and the real deal, none of that miracle whip crap :)
-one large red delicious apple chopped
-3 celery stalks chopped
-walnuts or almonds chopped
-salt & pepper to taste
-1 or 2 tsp. of celery seed (that's the secret!)

Serve with crackers (preferably triscuits) or on bread (croissants are divine)

p.s. I put all the stuff you put in yours in my TUNA salad :) except I like dill pickels instead of sweet!

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a walking contradiction. While I love to draw, paint and read, I also love all things gadgets, science and even science fiction (I know). My animals (two dogs and two birds) are my heart, and if I could figure out how to legally own a giraffe, I would. That all said, I have my BS in Mathematics. :o)

Followers


Recent Comments