Turning 1!



To my darling Lil' Man,

You don’t remember what happened a year ago today, but I do. You won’t remember the first kiss I ever gave you, but I do. You won’t remember what you were wearing the day we brought you home from the hospital, but I do. You won’t remember the first time you ever smiled at me, but I do. You won’t remember the little things you did to make me smile and laugh this past year, but I do. And I’m pretty sure that you won’t remember the cake we will let you dig your hands into for your birthday, but I will. It has been such a joy and pleasure to watch you grow this past year. You were so little that I was certain that you were going to break when I first held you. You had such a hard time learning to drink your milk that it broke my heart to force feed you. Then you started to have stomach problems that seem to be typical of most preemies. I was so afraid this was going to be a rough year for you.

And then, you decided that your milk wasn’t so bad, but now you like food better. Your reflux issues seem to be under control. If we could just get your pooper issues straightened out, we’d be golden. (Yes, I hope that embarrasses you some day.) Now, you want to walk by yourself so bad you can’t stand it. You have decided that crawling isn’t worth your time, and you’re just going to learn to run instead. You get so very mad if we decide we’re tired of walking with you. I have a feeling your temper is going to be a good one. I’m sure at times it will amuse me and other times it will annoy me to no end. You make changing your diaper impossible at times because you just can’t sit still. I love I taught you to scream at the top of your lungs and for a week, that's all you did. I hope you drove your parents insane with that. You make this funny little scrunched up face as if you’re mad at something, but I know it just cracks you up because you laugh at yourself after doing it. You love to sit at Grandma’s keyboard and give us your best impression of Mozart. I’m convinced that you are going to be a very famous musician and take care of your Aunt April in her old age.
My favorite day of the week is now Sunday, because that’s when I get a few precious hours of you and me time. The minute that you come through the door and grin and squeal with delight when you see me just melts my heart. And I love the fact that you’ll only let me put you down for your Sunday afternoon nap. The 20 minutes or so we spend rocking and humming to each other makes me so happy that it sometimes brings tears to my eyes. And every time I think that I couldn’t possibly love you more, I do.

The last thing I want to say, my dear boy, is that you’ll never remember the 10 months of your life that your parents were together, and for that I’m very sorry. But know that for a short while you were a happy family of three. And know that if ever life gets frustrating or you need someone to be there for you. I am here. I will always be here. YOU are MY #1, and I love you very, very much!! Happy Birthday, Clay!

Love,
Aunt April

posted under |

2 comments:

Vickie said...

What a beautiful birthday wish for your nephew. I love his name, Clay:)

He is such a cutie.

Christy M. said...

April,
That was so beautiful, so touching, so loving. I know I've told you this, but Clay is lucky to have you on his side.

He won't remember most of the things you mentioned, that's true, but he'll always know that you've loved him forever. You two will have a bond no one can break.

Happy birthday, Clay!!

Newer Post Older Post Home

About Me

My photo
I'm a walking contradiction. While I love to draw, paint and read, I also love all things gadgets, science and even science fiction (I know). My animals (two dogs and two birds) are my heart, and if I could figure out how to legally own a giraffe, I would. That all said, I have my BS in Mathematics. :o)

Followers


Recent Comments